Entries with borders or frames on the manuscript pages will not be allowed. For all entries, the following guidelines must be used:
- Use 12-point font. The contest requires the use of Times New Roman, Courier New, Garamond, Cambria, or Book Antiqua.
- The one-page synopsis should be single-spaced with one-inch margins, and begin one double-space below the header. The synopsis may use indented paragraphs with no spaces between the paragraphs or block paragraphs with a double space between paragraphs. PLEASE insert the synopsis first in the document, then the manuscript pages. (6 pages total) For suggested resources on writing a synopsis, click here.
- Start the first page of your manuscript 4 double spaces (8 single spaces) below the header. The manuscript should be double-spaced with indented paragraphs and one-inch margins.
- Include a header on each manuscript with the title, category/genre, estimated manuscript word count, and page numbers. NO entrant’s name or pseudonym should be in the header.
- Your entry will contain, in this order, a one page, single-spaced synopsis, followed by your first chapter, up to the first 5 pages of your manuscript. Prologues are acceptable and are included in the 5-page count. The entry will be 6 pages total, including synopsis. You may send less than 6 pages. DO NOT SEND MORE THAN 6 PAGES.
- To indicate a scene break, insert a single hashtag (#) or three hashtags (###) or three asterisks (***) one double-space down from the last line of the previous scene. Begin the new scene one double-space down from the hashtag(s) or asterisks.
Entries not fulfilling the above specifications will be returned to the entrant with one opportunity to correct and resubmit. After this, the entry will be rejected. Entry fees will not be refunded.
If you have any questions, please e-mail the contest coordinator at email@example.com with Crown Award Formatting in the subject line.